Preparing for the Retreat
- Preparing for the Retreat
- Technical Requirements
- Guidelines for using the digital platform Zoom
- Health Considerations
Preparing for the Retreat
These guidelines will help to create a safe, supportive and encouraging space for all attending the retreat.
We will be asking you to attend the entire retreat and to establish yourself in the conditions of calmness, silence and integrity with which you would approach any retreat at Amaravati.
Meditation Space: We encourage you to create a Meditative Space at home for yourself, a quiet place where you can practise with no interruptions. We recommend that, to the best of your ability, you clear the space of work-related materials, bills, letters or any other items that may cause a distraction. If you have a meditation cushion, mat or chair, please make these part of your meditative space.
If you live with others: Let them know that you will be doing a meditation retreat and respectfully ask them to avoid interrupting you during this period.
If somebody else in your household is intending to join you on the retreat we ask him/her to also register for the retreat and to take part in the entire retreat.
Please turn off all electronic and mobile devices: This means all those other than the one you are using to join us online. We suggest that you tell your family and friends that you will not be using any social media during this time. If you need to communicate using any electronic devices, please regard this as you would regard speaking at a retreat held at Amaravati and do so only if it is really necessary.
Walking Meditation: Please choose a place to practise walking meditation indoors or outdoors prior to the time of the retreat so you have a place to go when those periods are scheduled.
Food and Meals: We advise you to have your food prepared for the weekend so that you do not have to worry about cooking any meals during this time. (Mindful eating together in break out rooms to be discussed)
Clock or Watch:Please have available an alarm clock or watch to support you in being on time for all the group sessions.
Cancellations: If you change your plans and you are no longer able to join the retreat, please let us know as soon as possible.
We will be using Zoom as a digital platform to support our weekend retreat. Please download Zoom as the event can only be accessed using the Zoom application. If you have not already downloaded it to your device, you can do so via the Zoom website. If you already have Zoom, please update to the most recent version of the Zoom application.
We strongly advise that the primary device from which you join the event is a laptop, desktop or tablet as it is impossible to see all aspects of the meeting on a Smartphone. You will need:
- A Web Camera, either external or built-in.
- A Microphone or Headset.
- We recommend having an internet connection that is at least 3.0 Mbps for the best results (Zoom official requirements). Please note that if others in your household are using the same internet connection this will also affect your speed. You can do a free internet speed test here. There are way to make the connection more stable with the advise from here.
- Screen: We advise that you join the retreat via a device with a screen larger than a smart phone.
- Please keep your device plugged into the mains rather than relying on a battery. If you have to run your device on a battery, please check regularly and recharge so that you do not unexpectedly run out of power.
Guidelines for using the digital platform Zoom
- Please do not share the Zoom links, passwords or the retreat web address with anyone else.
- If you are not familiar with the Zoom platform, we encourage you to get some confidence by practising before the retreat. If you need support with this, please contact us prior to the retreat (see below).
- A few Zoom tips are mentioned below and will be explained at the beginning of the event. For those less used to Zoom, please take the time to familiarise yourself with the platform. Here are some Zoom FAQs
- As with any Amaravati retreat, please consider carefully whether you are well enough to attend on this occasion. If you are suffering from physical illness or any health issues which might affect your ability to participate fully, it may be wiser to cancel your place on the retreat and attend to your own wellbeing and recovery.
- Similarly, if you are suffering from any mental health issues, please consider whether this will affect your ability to sit the retreat and whether a retreat environment might exacerbate the condition. In particular, please bear in mind that, although we can offer to have a talk with anyone experiencing some emotional issues, the Retreat Managers and Hosts cannot support an ongoing mental health crisis online. If this occurs you would need to seek professional advice and care where you are.
- If, due to any physical or mental health condition, you realise that you are no longer able to attend the retreat, please let us know as soon as possible. However, we very much hope you remain well, and will be able to attend the retreat as planned!